Do you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God. You are not your own. You were bought for a price. Therefore, honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20



Monday, November 28, 2011

What He Promised, He Delivered....

I don't know if it's because of the way I was raised (yeah, right, of course it was) or if it's God's guidance (yeah, right, of course it is) but as much as I love contemporary Christian music, God still speaks to me in the most awesome ways through old gospel music.

If you've heard me talk much, you've heard me talk about one of my favorite memories of my Dad. He would lay on the couch in our living room and listen to a three-inch thick stack of 33 albums. These albums included the Imperials, the Blackwood Brothers, the Gaithers, Jake Hess, etc. It never failed, when I would go in to talk to him, his eyes would be closed and I would have to check to see if he was even breathing. I didn't know it then, but those moments were a huge witness to me. To see my father in silent worship is a picture I will never get out of my head.

This morning, I put on one of those 33 alums (now called an Ipod). These words speak to me now like they did him then.

I love my Dad so much, but more than that, I love the Savior that we share. I am blessed to be going into this Christmas season with the promise of that unconditional love and hope.

In this war, I've been a captive
Just a sinner seeking life and liberty
But, these hands that hold me tightly
are the hands that set my shackled spirit free.

Blessed Jesus, meek and lowly
You have come into my life and made it new
Out of bondage into ever lasting light
I owe everything to you.

There's an end to all the waiting
There's an answer to the who and where and why
All the years anticipating
are surrendered to a tiny baby's cry.

There's a dawn to follow darkness
There's a face to fill the title - Prince of Peace
What he promised he delivered
I am saved, by the hands of sweet release.

Thank you, Jesus!



1 comment: